[LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Tue Apr 10 13:13:06 EDT 2007

Spencer Russell wrote:
> On 4/10/07, Dmitry Baikov <dsbaikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> PCMCIA is great for latency. That "extra" PCI bridge does NOT affect
>> audio latency.
>> Firewire latencies are bigger than PCI/PCMCIA and will always be. Ask
>> Pieter Palmers for details.
>>
>> So if you are for low latency, PCI/PCMCIA is unbeatable.
>> If you want numbers, I can provide them for Echo Indigo IO and RME
>> MultifaceII.
>> Ask somebody to jdelay their Firewire card.
>>

> Is anybody using a firewire card through a PCMCIA adpter? I hesitate
> to use a firewire card because I want something that's bus-powered,
> but this laptop only has a 4-pin firewire. I'm leaning perhaps to the
> Edirol UA-25, but the presonus Firebox is 4in/6out instead of 2in/2out
> (Analog) so if it's not a problem to run it through a PCMCIA firewire
> card then I think that's what I would go with. Both seem to have
> decent Linux support, as far as I can tell.

I use both onboard 1394 and Cardbus 1394 for my tests, and I've never
seen a difference. But I have to admit that I haven't been doing latency
comparisons between the two that would survive scientific proofing.

Note that there might be exceptions, but:
PCMCIA or Cardbus adapters are also unable to provide bus power,
notwithstanding the fact that they do have 6-pin adapters. The
PCMCIA/cardbus bus doesn't provide the power needed for the FireWire
bus, so these adapters can't provide it.

Pieter