[LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:12:40 EDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2007 schrieb Mike Taht:
> > I am selling my house deep in the santa cruz mountains, and I think the
> > things I'm going to miss most is the birdsong and other sounds of the
> > wilderness around me. So, I keep thinking, I should pick up a good mic
> soon
> > (stereo mic, or matched pair) - either buy, borrow, or rent for a few days
> > - and record it all, so I can recreate the ambiance and memories of this
> > place one day in the future.
>
> I bought the Studio Projects C4 (Matched Pair) which might not be the best
> but
> at least good for the price. You could also go for a pair of AKG C1000 which
> cost about double.
>
> My C4s are good (ie. I used them) for environmental recordings (I conserved
> the noise of outside of my old flat in the middle of the city), live
> recordings of concerts, drum overheads and micing of acoustic instruments.
> They have two kinds of mic capsules to provide omni-directional and cardioid
> characteristics. The (in my edition) shipped stereo-boom(?) is a bit to
> short
> to get the official 17,5cm for env-recordings but its still usable...
>
> BTW: http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/index.html lists the C4 with 504€, I
> got
> mine (new) for ~300€...
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Arnold
>
> --
> visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
> ---
> Hi, I am a .signature virus. Please copy me into your ~/.signature and send
> me
> to all your contacts.
> After a month or so log in as root and do a rm / -rf. Or ask your
> administrator to do so...

Thread hijack so i changed the name... I want to record acoustic
guitar and vocals. Price limit is < AUD$300 so i'm thinking of 2
behringer c-2's ($75!!) and stereo mic pre or a single SM Pro mic 1
condenser and pre. Are cheap condensers better than sm57/58 of the
same price? Any recommendations?

Loki