[LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

Emiliano Grilli emillo at libero.it
Wed Apr 11 05:36:35 EDT 2007

mercoledì, 11 aprile 2007 alle 19:12:40, Loki Davison ha scritto:
> On 4/11/07, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> >Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2007 schrieb Mike Taht:
> >> I am selling my house deep in the santa cruz mountains, and I think
> >the
> >> things I'm going to miss most is the birdsong and other sounds of the
> >> wilderness around me. So, I keep thinking, I should pick up a good
> >mic
> >soon
> >> (stereo mic, or matched pair) - either buy, borrow, or rent for a
> >few days
> >> - and record it all, so I can recreate the ambiance and memories of
> >this
> >> place one day in the future.
> >
> >I bought the Studio Projects C4 (Matched Pair) which might not be the
> >best
> >but
> >at least good for the price. You could also go for a pair of AKG C1000
> >which
> >cost about double.
> >
> >My C4s are good (ie. I used them) for environmental recordings (I
> >conserved
> >the noise of outside of my old flat in the middle of the city), live
> >recordings of concerts, drum overheads and micing of acoustic
> >instruments.
> >They have two kinds of mic capsules to provide omni-directional and
> >cardioid
> >characteristics. The (in my edition) shipped stereo-boom(?) is a bit to
> >short
> >to get the official 17,5cm for env-recordings but its still usable...
> >
> >BTW: http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/index.html lists the C4 with
> >504?, I
> >got
> >mine (new) for ~300?...
> >
> >Have a nice day,
> >
> >Arnold
> >
> >--
> >visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
> >---
> >Hi, I am a .signature virus. Please copy me into your ~/.signature and
> >send
> >me
> >to all your contacts.
> >After a month or so log in as root and do a rm / -rf. Or ask your
> >administrator to do so...
> >

> Thread hijack so i changed the name... I want to record acoustic
> guitar and vocals. Price limit is < AUD$300 so i'm thinking of 2
> behringer c-2's ($75!!) and stereo mic pre or a single SM Pro mic 1
> condenser and pre. Are cheap condensers better than sm57/58 of the
> same price? Any recommendations?

I like oktava microphones. Quite cheap but better than chinese
made microphones (samson, behringer, etc...):
http://oktava-online.com/

I have a mk219, a mk220 and a matched pair of mk012 (this is a bit
expensive if you want all the capsules)

The mk219 I bought on ebay for 56 EUR, and it's a really good mic.

There's also a guy who make modified versions of those mics, but the
price doubles (at least):

http://oktavamod.com/

> Loki

HTH