[LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:05:39 EDT 2007

On 4/12/07, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
> For vocals, I like my MXL V67G and my Sennheiser 421.
>
> For acoustic guitar I don't currently have a mic I really like.  The
> V67G is tolerable, as is the 421, as is my MXL V57 (flatter mids than
> the V67 but more harsh on top).  But none of them are really ideal for
> guitar.  I've heard the small-diaphragm MXL 603 is a good value, they
> go for around $100, I've been meaning to try that.  For $200 or so you
> could also check out the AKG 535 which doubles as a very very nice
> handheld mic.
>
> I still want to find a good small-diaphgragm condenser. Or maybe some
> ribbon mics, yum.

Thaks for all the great info and ideas! From prices here in Australia
the MXL's seem like a good idea. The Octava's get great reviews but
seem hard to find and pretty expensive here. The review of the 603
http://www.mojopie.com/603.html is glowing and they are REALLY cheap!
;) I'm not sure to get 2 603's for stereo recording  ($150!) or the
MXL2001 and 603 for $150 too. 2 small diaphragm or one of each? Guess
i also have to ask mic pre or mixer? I don't need a mixer for anything
else... so i'm thinking seperate mic pre. Is solid state or tube
better at the cheap end? A few companies seem to have $100 tube mic
pre's.

Loki