[LAU] SID chip emulation?

Gordon JC Pearce wsynth at gjcp.net
Thu Apr 19 11:43:32 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 16:05 +0100, James Stone wrote:
> Does anyone know of a linux based synth that emulates the sound of the
> C64 SID chip? I would love to use that sound in some pieces, but I
> have never been able to find anything very usable.
>
> Perhaps something could be used from the libsid/libsidplay
> libraries??

Funny, I was thinking about this yesterday.  It shouldn't be hard to do.
What might be harder is to have some kind of sensible control system - part of the charm of the SID chip music is the way it is programmed.
For instance, a lot of the sounds are quite "glitchy" because the sound chip is only updated every 20ms (on VBI).
Maybe you could code up a DSSI interface to a Commodore 64 emulator? ;-)

Gordon