[LAU] SID chip emulation?

Sebastian Gutsfeld segoh at gmx.net
Thu Apr 19 11:48:10 EDT 2007

Hi James,

"James Stone" <jamesmstone at gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone know of a linux based synth that emulates the sound of the
> C64 SID chip? I would love to use that sound in some pieces, but I
> have never been able to find anything very usable.
>
> Perhaps something could be used from the libsid/libsidplay libraries??

Sidplay2 uses ReSID for sound emulation. There are two other programs I
know of that use this library:

* Goattracker (http://cadaver.homeftp.net) but you have to be familiar
  with a tracker interface and some SID internals

* VICE C64 emulator (http://www.viceteam.org)

Try Paul Slocum's Cynthcart (http://qotile.net/cynthcart.html) or the
good old JCH editor (http://chordian.dk/files.htm?c64) with its cool
polyplay mode for realtime play on the computer keyboard.

Another option is Legasynth
(http://www.reduz.com.ar/cheesetronic/index.php?section=4), but I don't
think this sounds very close to a real SID.

Or search for some SID samples and use them with a sampler like
specimen.

regards,
   Sebastian