[LAU] <OT> 'Sir' Elton John (a.k.a. Pennyhouse with rolls) wants to shut down the web <off topic>

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Aug 2 17:11:00 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:38:20PM +0100, Folderol wrote:
> Seriously, I find people who are self-critical tend to produce better
> music/art/photos etc. than those that think they are good.

Yeah, but there has to be a balance between self-criticism and
self-acceptance. Some people I know have such high expectations that
they throw away everything they start and nobody ever hears a note
from them.  This also hurts people who try to learn instruments as
adults. A lot of them give up long before they get to the point of
doing anything they'd feel confident enough to share with others.

We could debate whether the world at large is missing out on anything
from those who give up, but often I think they'd be happier in their
own lives if they persevered. Music is not just a product, it's a
process that has inherent value to the musician.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com