[LAU] <OT> 'Sir' Elton John (a.k.a. Pennyhouse with rolls) wants to shut down the web <off topic>

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Aug 2 21:08:09 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 17:11 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:38:20PM +0100, Folderol wrote:
> > Seriously, I find people who are self-critical tend to produce better
> > music/art/photos etc. than those that think they are good.
>
> Yeah, but there has to be a balance between self-criticism and
> self-acceptance. Some people I know have such high expectations that
> they throw away everything they start and nobody ever hears a note
> from them.  This also hurts people who try to learn instruments as
> adults. A lot of them give up long before they get to the point of
> doing anything they'd feel confident enough to share with others.
>
> We could debate whether the world at large is missing out on anything
> from those who give up, but often I think they'd be happier in their
> own lives if they persevered. Music is not just a product, it's a
> process that has inherent value to the musician.

    Well said!  Too many people give up too soon.  I used to play with a
guitarist who was not really very good but about once a night he'd play
something that would just be amazing.  For those 5 or 6 seconds he was
probably the best guitarist on the face of the earth.  The next 5 or 6
seconds belonged to someone else ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"