[LAU] Wine alsa midi output

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Aug 11 10:05:38 EDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:29:35AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> >I wonder if I am mistaken and this is an internal thing and Modplug
> >doesn't actually do
> >midi output. I guess I will have to track down a windows machine to test
> >that out.
> >
> Don't bother. ModPlug doesn't do MIDI Out.

After trawling through forum posts it seems that people accomplish this
with a VST2MIDI plugin in ModPlug. I'll give that a shot.

Apparently the newer builds of Open Modplug (the community developed
version) run under Wine finally, so that might be another option.

> >One other weird thing on my laptop is that I have snd-seq-virmidi loaded
> >but I do'nt see any virtual midi ports listed.
> >
> Uh-oh... Nothing in the QJackCtl MIDI Connections panel ?

Nope. Nothing in aconnect -li or -lo or amidi -l either. Don't trouble
yourself thinking about that though - if I really need to fix it, I'll
look it up.

> >I don't know anything about wineasio. Asio [apart from being the
> >Australian Security Intelligence Organisation] is the Windows thing for
> >doing multiple audio outs isn't it? Does that mean that I might be able
> >to pipe audio out of Modplug into Pd? That would be cool.
> >
> Yes, you would be able to do that with the wineasio driver, it's pretty
> cool.

Great, thanks for the tip! I will look it up.

Best,

Chris.