[LAU] Wine alsa midi output

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Aug 13 01:05:56 EDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:05:38AM -0400, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:29:35AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Chris McCormick wrote:
> >
> > >I wonder if I am mistaken and this is an internal thing and Modplug
> > >doesn't actually do
> > >midi output. I guess I will have to track down a windows machine to test
> > >that out.
> > >
> > Don't bother. ModPlug doesn't do MIDI Out.
>
> After trawling through forum posts it seems that people accomplish this
> with a VST2MIDI plugin in ModPlug. I'll give that a shot.

Just for future reference, this works really well, but uses a non-Free
gratis plugin - Google "VST2MID midibag" to find it. The midi note arrives
about 100ms in Pure Data before the note is actually played by ModPlug,
so there is some room to work with.  You can use a [del 100] object to
synchronise your Pd sounds with ModPlug perfectly.

The great thing about this is that it's possible to write algorithmic
and generative instruments in Pd and synchronise them with your tracked
tunes.

Best,

Chris.