[LAU] Suggested video card

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Aug 16 05:38:21 EDT 2007

Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 19:17 -1000, david wrote:
>
>> 855GM according to KInfoCenter's PCI report.
>
> Ugh.  No wonder it is slowing things down.

Yup, the joys of life as a bottom-feeder! ;-)

> These days if someone says something nice about Intel graphics, they are
> almost certainly talking about a 945 or better.

Probably so. I'm using the Intel driver (courtesy of Xorg), and X still
reports warnings as it tries to use various features of newer Intel
graphics chips with the old hardware.

>>> I just bought a stack of Radeon 7200s for $5
>>> apiece just for putting into older Linux PCs with Geforce 2MX cards.
>> I got these free. I don't do games on any of my computers, so more
>> powerful display cards don't really do anything for me.
>
> One doesn't have to play games to desire a modest OpenGL card.  One
> could gain benefit from such a card by seeing the drawing of various
> applications be accelerated if they happen to be built on libraries that
> support OpenGL.  When such things line up in your favor, you get more
> CPU power available for audio because the graphics card is doing the
> display drawing for you.
>
> In one application I'm working on, switching the graphics process to use
> OpenGL just to draw text and simple line graphs to the display cut the
> CPU usage of that process by 75%.

That's fine. I can't imagine how OpenGL would speed up scrolling through
Rosegarden's Score window as a composition plays, but maybe it would.
I'll see if it makes a difference on the desktop machines. Their cards
support OpenGL.

> So, maybe a Radeon card would play games better.  I don't know.  It is
> rather offensive that you consider this only of worth to gamers.

Sorry, but I don't consider that offensive at all. I've used video cards
for over 20 years, and some of my favorites were the ones designed to
run OpenGL. I used to have a little old slow Elsa GLoria Synergy
graphics card, with OpenGL executing natively on the card, that could
run rings around the fancy expensive cards (at the time) when it came to
3D games. I also used to work for a company that sold the original AT&T
Targa video boards - ISA cards that plugged into 6MHz IBM AT computers
and could capture and manipulate 30fps TV and movie video in real time.

I don't put down gamers - realtime games involving realistic graphics
and sophisticated game AI takes a lot of horsepower!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community