[LAU] questions about 'LENOVO 3000 N100'

Peter Finnegan peter.c.finnegan at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 11:36:47 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 17:20 +0200, Dragan Noveski wrote:
> hi list,
> finally i got to the point to convince my girlfriend to switch from win
> to linux, so i am looking now in the internet for a good-price-laptop
> for her.
> since i am on ibm here and very happy with this, we are looking now for
> 'lenovo 3000 n100' here:
>
> http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/product_info.php/lenovo_3000_n100_megaaktion_1024mb
>
> (sorry the link is in german).
>
> so the question i have is first about the processor:
>

> Intel Core™ Duo für Mobile
> <javascript:popupWindow('http://indigo.intel.com/Syndication/DistributeModule.aspx?a=165&m=133&l=6&ppc_cid=GF1_0165013306','infocontent','top=200,left=100,resizable=1,scrollbars=0,width=960,height=655');>
> T2450 2x 2,0 GHz

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad z61m (the bigger brother to the 3000 series)
running a core 2 duo.  I have tried fedora and ubuntu, and both have
multi-processor support in their default kernels.  The Core Duo runs
only in 32 bit mode, whereas the Core 2 duo can run 64 bits.  You should
not have to do anything to get the processor working.

> does anyone can recommend this processor or is there someone who could
> say "don't get that!"
> i have a celeronM here and that works pretty good for me, but i do not
> have any experience in setting up linux for dual-technologies.
>
> another question is about the hd:
>
> there is not specified which hd is build in, but it only makes 5400rpm.
> should we expect any problems on a hd with that speed?

For day to day tasks it should work fine.  I do stereo recording and
edit home movies with my built in drive (also 5400 rpm), and I haven't
had any problems.

> so in generally i would go for some hardware, where we can get ubuntu or
> sth similar installed, without too much problems. in the end the machine
> should be used for multimedia and some networking.
>
> i am really looking forward for some answers on this!
>
> cheers,
> doc

It looks like the 3000 series use intel video, which should work without
a hitch.  Ubuntu handles the ipw3945 "out of the box".

PF