[LAU] opinions on Ubuntu Studio?

Hector Centeno hcengar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 23:40:46 EDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by deprecated libraries and stuff,
> everything except I think 2-3 apps is the same as in feisty, so if
> anything 'deprecated' is there it is in feisty.
> Sure, some stuff could have been better, but I'm glad that it worked as
> well as it did.

That's something that I keep debating about. The "slow upgrade, but stable"
model of Debian seems to go against the so fast development of Linux audio
apps. Releases occur often and with good improvements so freezing versions
"Debian style" makes you have to deal with bugs for long time, unless you
build your own apps which sometimes is not easy to do (specially when the
core libraries change too). I guess this model was and is successful for
other applications like servers. That's what I don't like about Ubuntu
Studio, you have to wait 6 months to get to use 3 or 5 versions ahead of
Ardour, for example. Also they don't want to include any other app that is
not authorized by the official repository and it seems that including
specialized audio apps is not their first priority (PD-extended or Csound5
for example). Fedora works fine from that point of view since updates happen
quite often and Fernando keeps up very good with Planet CCRMA and the new
versions.

Just my personal opinion.

Cheers!

Hector