[LAU] opinions on Ubuntu Studio?

sam javor zekthedeadcow at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 18 00:31:25 EDT 2007

>From: "Hector Centeno" >
>That's something that I keep debating about. The "slow upgrade, but stable"
>model of Debian seems to go against the so fast development of Linux audio
>apps. Releases occur often and with good improvements so freezing versions
>"Debian style" makes you have to deal with bugs for long time, unless you
>build your own apps which sometimes is not easy to do (specially when the
>core libraries change too). I guess this model was and is successful for
>other applications like servers. That's what I don't like about Ubuntu
>Studio, you have to wait 6 months to get to use 3 or 5 versions ahead of
>Ardour, for example. Also they don't want to include any other app that is
>not authorized by the official repository and it seems that including
>specialized audio apps is not their first priority (PD-extended or Csound5
>for example). Fedora works fine from that point of view since updates
>happen
>quite often and Fernando keeps up very good with Planet CCRMA and the new
>versions.
>
>Just my personal opinion.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Hector

I switchs to Ubuntu Studio a bit ago from aSlackware monstrosity I put
together... and demudi before that... and XP SONAR 2.2XL before that.  The
delay with the repositories hasn't bothered me much.

Personally, I don't need the latest and greatest... I need a computer that
will record audio tomorrow... anything beyond that is a bonus.  Sure, if I
ran into a bug I would probably take the effort to upgrade from SVN
however... if it's in the hours just before the session I'm not going to
change anything. :)

Most home studios I know are centered around stability... or at least a fear
of change. :)  I run a website catering to customers of a defunct sound card
manufacturer (Aardvark Audio) and I still got people running Win98 because
they got it working and it does what they want it to...

With the repositories, I don't have to fear the upgrades. :)