[LAU] PHASEX-0.11.1

William Weston weston at sysex.net
Sat Aug 18 19:55:28 EDT 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> William Weston <weston at sysex.net> writes:
>
> > As usual, source tarballs and FC6 RPMs (src, i386, i686, and athlon)
> > are available at:
> >
> > 	http://sysex.net/phasex
>
> first of all: Thanks for this great sounding softsynth. It's really fun
> to play with PHASEX, especially when modulating with external input and
> adding some dirt and punchiness with the CAPS: AmpV LADSPA. It took me
> some time to understand the internal signal flow and to see that you can
> control the individual oscillator levels by setting one lfo to identity
> wave and modulating the amplitude of the oscillators with this "lfo".

This is one of the reasons why the Identity and Null waves were
included for both oscillators and LFOs.

> Regarding the amplifier section: Is it intended that you have to wait
> for the attack and decay phase to finish after releasing a key? Normally
> those get interrupted by releasing a key and the envelope jumps directly
> to the release phase.

Yes, this is intentional.  At one point, I experimented with the
behavior you just described, and found the current behavior to be a
lot more predictable for shorter attack times.

> Is there a way to detune oscillators just a little bit and not only by
> chromatic steps?

Currently, no.  A Detune parameter is on the todo list, and will be
implemented down the road as part of a batch of parameter additions.

> Can you explain what the rate parameter in the oscillator sections
> controls?

The Rate parameter is only used when the Source is set to Tempo or
Tempo+Trig, essentially turning an oscillator into another LFO.

> It would be really nice if the filter lfo section gets replaced with 4
> lfo amt dials, so one can mix the different lfo waveforms to get new and
> less predictable waveforms for filter modulation.

Excellent idea!  The filter section really should support more
modulation sources.  Filter Resonance should also handle modulation
sources along with Cutoff.  I still haven't decided wether to handle
these extra modulations directly, or to implement them through a
more generic parameter modulation matrix.  Any feedback on this
issue is highly welcomed.

> Keep up the good work!

And thanks for the constructive feedback.  My main goal for new
features is to make PHASEX more useful without making it more
difficult to use.

Cheers,
--ww

--