[LAU] Stream Box setup questions

Martin Wohlleben martin.wohlleben at gmx.de
Mon Aug 20 15:39:15 EDT 2007

On Mo, 2007-08-20 at 13:04 -0500, Matt Rockwell wrote:
> Greetings:
> I am seeking assistance with a couple of issues relating to my Ubuntu
> server stream box.
>
>    1. I am currently running darkice to create a stream from a Delta1010
>       interface.  Is there a way to create additional streams from
>       additional inputs?  I have everything configured with ALSA for the
>       first stereo input pair, but I cannot figure out how to create
>       another stream from the second stereo pair.
>    2. I would like to configure a box with as little config as possible
>       to connect to a stream on boot and pass the audio to the audio
>       port.  I cannot find a command line util to do this, and I am not
>       sure how to configure something like this to automatically connect
>       on boot.
>
> My goal is to build a temporary (one year) backup Studio to Transmitter
> link for our station.  We currently have a wireless lan connection to
> campus because we are located off campus.  This existing configuration
> bottlenecks at about 20 listeners with our Icecast2 server on the studio
> end of the network.  New construction has blocked our microwave path and
> reduced us to a POTS codec to feed our FM transmitter.
> We are about to move our microwave transmitter to a different building
> on-campus and deliver the audio over the IP connection. At the same
> time, I would like to move our Icecast2 relay box to the new on-campus
> location to get the connecting traffic off of the wireless link.  If I
> can, I would like to send a higher bandwidth stream for the microwave in
> addition standard "low" and "high" .mp3 streams.  Right now, if I add
> the higher bandwidth stream to the current darkice config, all streams
> start to skip.  While I can drive everything off of one pair of analog
> inputs on the Delta1010, I would like to use two seperate stereo pair so
> that Emergency Alerts are not on the webstream feed.
>
> Any suggested configurations would be most helpful.  Thanks all.
>
> MattRock

Hi Matt,

did you try out oddcast with jack? It works really great for me with an
icecast 2 relay server.

Just launch oddcast after starting the jack-server and specify the
channels you want to record from, e.g.:

oddcastv3 -c <config file> alsa_pcm:capture_5 alsa_pcm:capture_6

to record from channel 5 and 6.

You can define stream quality,destination,mount point, ... in different
config files and I think it should be possible to run several instances
of oddcast from even the same input if you need this.

You can download oddcast from

http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv3_jack/

For an automatic start you could write a small shell-script that's
executed at boot time to start jack and a little bit later the instances
of oddcast.

Martin