[LAU] Maximum channel limit on jack clients 32 ?

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Mon Aug 20 16:13:51 EDT 2007

Hello,

Maybe I just not a master googler, but I didnt find any answer why qjackctl
limits  maximum of input or output channels to 32. Also PD has this limit
compiled in and so on, but jackd starts with 64 channels with my MADI-card ?

Is there a technical reason or can I just remove the limits in the code ?
Its not so bad becaused I always used alsa-only before, but I just want give
jack a try.

BTW, I also would suggest that if a limit is needed, it should be 256 channels
(4 MADI-Cards) I thinks its the maximum you can do nowaday with linux, but if
there is the rule of computer speed, so I can think, this count will double
each 2 years, so to be save for next 4 years we need 1024 channels limit.

mfg winfried
- Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch at iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch
- Institut fuer Elektronische Musik und Akustik
- University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
- Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171
- PGP-ID 69617A69 (see keyserver http://wwwkeys.at.gpg.net/)