[LAU] Loosing stuff is not always a bad thing

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Fri Aug 31 07:41:27 EDT 2007

Recently I posted my tune 'Antartica' on KVR (not mentioned here
because it had no connection at all with Linux) and when someone
commented that one instrument was too loud, I thought he was right so
decided to do a remix.

To my horror I could find no trace of the build files, not even
searching back more than two years of backup CDs, after the usual
tantrums, swearing and pulling the house apart (no chair throwing
though). I had the bright idea of firing up my ancient Acorn machine,
which to my surprise and delight came up without problems. There was my
original MIDI file from 1993.

This was of course quite a lot different from later versions, but was
complete enough for me to recreate the track. However, I felt free to
be more adventurous both with the tune itself, and the instruments.

It is now about 70% ZynAddSubFX, 20% SY35 & 10% Sound Canvas and all
the editing was done in Rosegarden so is proudly 'music made with
linux' :)

I would greatly appreciate some feedback, even if it's just to say I
wasted my time and should have left the old machine in peace.

http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Antartica.ogg
http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Antartica.mp3

Hey, I think I've finally got the hang of these URLs :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk