[LAU] Loosing stuff is not always a bad thing

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Aug 31 13:29:26 EDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 13:41, Folderol wrote:
> Recently I posted my tune 'Antartica' on KVR (not mentioned here
> because it had no connection at all with Linux) and when someone
> commented that one instrument was too loud, I thought he was right so
> decided to do a remix.
>
> To my horror I could find no trace of the build files, not even
> searching back more than two years of backup CDs, after the usual
> tantrums, swearing and pulling the house apart (no chair throwing
> though). I had the bright idea of firing up my ancient Acorn machine,
> which to my surprise and delight came up without problems. There was my
> original MIDI file from 1993.
>
> This was of course quite a lot different from later versions, but was
> complete enough for me to recreate the track. However, I felt free to
> be more adventurous both with the tune itself, and the instruments.
>
> It is now about 70% ZynAddSubFX, 20% SY35 & 10% Sound Canvas and all
> the editing was done in Rosegarden so is proudly 'music made with
> linux' :)
>
> I would greatly appreciate some feedback, even if it's just to say I
> wasted my time and should have left the old machine in peace.
>
> http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Antartica.ogg
> http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Antartica.mp3
>
> Hey, I think I've finally got the hang of these URLs :)

Hi Will. URL's are fine, and so's the tune. Did you have to change much from
the 1993 version you found on the Acorn?

Fancy putting the original up, that was on the Acorn, so we can see how you've
progressed over the years?

btw. I'm working on my first patch from scratch on Phasex for a piano. It's
not too bad, but sounds not as flat as a piano. I'ts got a bit of a ring to
it. Do you feel like having a look at it, if you have Phasex installed, and
seeing what needs to be tweaked to get it to sound more like a real acoustic
piano?

btw2. I built Horgand a couple of days ago on Fedora 7. Organ sounds +
accompaniment (spelt that wrong I think). It sounds nice, and has a rotary
speaker on it. I tried changing audio out from Alsa to Jack, and have totally
broken it on Fedora 7, but have built it again on Debian Etch, and it's
working again, with the default  Alsa output for audio. I'm not changing Alsa
to Jack for audio output, as I don't want to risk killing it again. Once
bitten twice shy.

I have some crackles when playing it, a bit like xruns, but I'll ask the
author about that. it's worth a little look though.

http://horgand.berlios.de/

All the best.

Nigel.