[LAU] timidity and jack issues

naysayer gateswideopen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:00:03 EST 2007

hi all.
just wondering if there is anyone out there using timidity(2.13.2-r6)
and jack successfully. i seem to be have some issues getting it to
connect.
firstly, i am using gentoo with a hdsp multiface.

while i can get timidity to run quite nicely using the midi protocol,
the audio seems to be a bit weird.

running timidity without jack....
$ timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os -EFreverb=0

it is all fine and perfectly usable.
with jackd 0.103.0 running

$ jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0,0 -r44100 -p64 -n2

and timidity as

$ timidity -iA -B2,8 -Oj -EFreverb=0

JACK tmpdir identified as [/var/run/jack]
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
Opening sequencer port: 129:0 129:1 129:2 129:3

i can see the midi input in my qjackctl patchbay and this is usable.
the problem is that i can hear the audio from timidity and is usable
but i have no outputs in my qjackctl audio patchbay.
also, i cannot see timidity ports showing up in the ardour buses.

this seems weird that i can hear the timidity audio using jack but i
cannot see or use output ports in qjackctl.