[LAU] linux audio ready in 5 minutes - using which distro and interface?

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Sat Dec 8 09:20:35 EST 2007

Le Samedi, 8 Décembre 2007 14:46:32 +0100,
Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> a écrit :

> To be honest I don't think that this will ever be possible. There are
> too much things that can and should be optimized to do hd-recording.

Well, I, for one, did not do anything to optimize HD recording.
Installed FC6, and fetched some CCRMA packages with kyum.  Did not even
change the stock FC6 x86_64 dual core kernel.

> Another reason why these live-distros will fail definitely: If its
> not your computer or only a windows-computer you boot with the
> live-cd, it won't have enough free diskspace to do recordings.

I'm not sure this is safe to assume.  There can be Windows machines out
there with empty D: or E: drives of many GB.  An interesting
question would be to see if using a FAT fs can contribute to performance
drawbacks and, if NTFS (or such, can't remember the name), is it
possible to write to it (I think recently, yes) and if so, what would
be the throughput in a HD recording context.

Also, it could very well be that live CDs have swapping turned off.
This would be interesting to obeserve in a recording situation.  Maybe
Ardour can load in memory all at once.  The idea would be to minimize
code reading from a slow device such as a CD while recording.

All in all, an interesting thing.

Tschüß.