[LAU] linux audio ready in 5 minutes - using which distro and interface?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Sun Dec 9 14:18:49 EST 2007

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:06:06 +0100
Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
> hollunder at gmx.at hat gesagt: // hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
>
> > Most don't qualify because I want a mic in without needing a preamp
> > and midi as well.
>
> I think, the UA-25 has preamps and phantom power.

Thanks, it looks good. I looked at it previously but hadn't seen the
midi and discarded it.

> > I haven't found the Alesis IO/2 on the usb or the alsa page,
>
> For USB cards, you're better off with the qbik.ch page.

That's what I meant by usb page. Thanks, but there is no alesis product
to be found there. Too bad :/

> > but it looks nice.  Others my search has turned up: tascam us-122l
> > (http://www.tascam.com/details;9,15,69,14.html) and terratec phase
> > 26
> > (http://www.terratecproducer.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=6)
> > which has only a jack connection for the mic..
>
> The Phase 26 doesn't have preamps or phantom power for mics, you'd
> need to use condenser mics with it. It's still a great card, though, I
> have it myself.

It's out of this race then.

> And careful with the Tascams. Some of these require firmware to be
> loaded, so make sure that's included with your live Linux CD/stick.

Uh, ok, thanks for the warning. I'll try to find some more info on that.

> > They aren't the cheapest but around 200 is still fine for me and I'm
> > gonna get me one and give the whole thing a try if I can decide on
> > one.
>
> The Phase 26 can be bought without the MS-Windows software for much
> less (a wellknown large mailorder in Europe has it for 129,- and the
> Alesis IO|2 for 139,-)
>
> Ciao

Ok thanks for the help,
the list of competitors is:
Edirol UA-25
Alesis IO|2 (in case it has drivers)
Tascam  US-122L (in case it doesn't cause firmware troubles)

Now it shouldn't be too hard to find the one that suits best

ciao