[LAU] Strange problems with Audacity

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Sat Dec 15 05:08:19 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 10:37:17AM +0100, Sebastian Tsch?pel wrote:
> BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
> 00000080
> EFLAGS: 00010246   (2.6.19-5-rt #1)
> EIP is at snd_ice1712_capture_open+0x26/0x45 [snd_ice1712]

This suggests a code flaw in the ice1712 driver module triggered at the
time audacity begins to open the device for capturing audio.

You could confirm it by trying to open the capture device using a
simpler utility, such as arecord.  If you get the same result, then you
have nicely excluded audacity from the problem, and identified the
kernel driver as likely cause.

What I recommend ... check for a more recent kernel in whatever
distribution you are using.

What I would do if I knew I could rebuild the kernel ... check for
patches to kernel source directory sound/pci/ice1712 after verison
2.6.19.