[LAU] Strange problems with Audacity

Sebastian Tschöpel tschoseb at tu-cottbus.de
Sat Dec 15 05:25:36 EST 2007

Hello James,

thanks for your reply.

 > You could confirm it by trying to open the capture device using a
 > simpler utility, such as arecord.  If you get the same result, then you
 > have nicely excluded audacity from the problem, and identified the
 > kernel driver as likely cause.

The ice1712 is the module for my Terratec Phase88/Envy24 Chipset soundcard
which I successfully use all the time with any other audiosoftware on my
linux machine.

 > What I recommend ... check for a more recent kernel in whatever
 > distribution you are using.

Hmm. Nothing available at the moment. It looks like they're working on a
openSuse 10.3 based JAD release but there is just a source available
that could
still be unstable.

 >  rebuild the kernel ...

O.o .... now you said the three magic words that makes me get shivers
down my spine.
I use the JAD kernel-rt-2.6.19-5.i586 Thats all I can say.
Unfortunately, I haven't got any clue
about how to recompile/change/patch a kernel. :(

Best regards,
Sebastian.

web: linuxaudioblog.sternenhejim.de