[LAU] Fluidsynth on OpenMoko phone?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Dec 22 18:44:05 EST 2007

I've just recently discovered this:

http://www.openmoko.org/

266Mhz ARM processor. Not a whole lot of heft, but I'm wondering if it'd be enough to run fluidsynth? Sample playing is pretty low-effort, most of the time.

It has USB host capability. It runs a regular old 2.6 Linux kernel. I need to get a mobile phone anyway, so I'm thinking: hmm, instead of using my computer as my instrument, why not use my phone as my instrument?

Instead of bringing a laptop to a live gig, and worrying about it getting drinks spilled on it, etc, I can just whip out my phone, plug it into my amp, plug my keyboard and USB audio interface into it, and start playing.

All I'd really need is Fluidsynth, Specimen, and AZR3, and I've got 99% of what I use in any kind of live situation.

Anyone have one? Has anyone tried to get ingo patches, jackd, and fluidsynth running on it? I can't invest US$300 right now only to find out it won't work.

-ken