[linux-audio-user] [ANN] JackMix 0.2 fresh on the shelfs

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Sun Feb 4 13:53:10 EST 2007

Arnold Krille wrote:
> taken from http://www.arnoldarts.de/drupal/?q=node/532 :
>
> "One step back, two ahead!"
>
> After almost two years of silence I managed to put together a new
> release of JackMix. The name explained: Comparing to jackmix:0.1.0
> some experimental features are dropped. On the other hand this release
> is the first to use scons for the buildsystem and qt4 for the toolkit.
>
> Download and installation
>
> Download the source here:
> http://www.arnoldarts.de/drupal/files/downloads/jackmix/jackmix-0.2.tar.gz
>

> After unpacking (tar xzf jackmix-0.2.tar.gz && cd jackmix-0.2) call
> QTDIR=<path to your qt4-dir> scons configure to configure and
> afterwards call scons to compile the app. Calling scons install will
> install the binary in the chosen bin-directory but you will probably
> test JackMix before doing that... qtlibs=/usr/lib/qt4
>
> If your qt4 is installed in /usr/include/qt4 and /usr/lib/qt4 (as it
> is on gentoo) you need to add qtlibs=/usr/lib/qt4 to the
> configuration-command above. I will probably change/extend the
> qt-check in the future but for now this has to be used.
>
> Usage
>
> Be sure to have a jackd running, preferable via qjackctl which also
> has a nice window to connect inputs and outputs like the back of your
> rack.
>
> Next start jackmix. If all is well it will present you with a top-row
> of controls, a big matrix in the middle and some controls on the
> right. The top controls are the input gain, the right controls are
> output gain. The matrix in the middle controls the levels sent from
> the various inputs to the outputs.
>
> If you are tired of the simple potis for each channel and want easier
> mixing into stereo busses there is help available. Just select the
> potis you want replaced by using "Select" from the context menu of
> each control and then use "Replace" in the top-left control you want
> replaced. If all is working JackMix will choose the biggest possible
> replacing control (current available controls are mono-to-mono,
> mono-to-stereo and stereo-to-stereo). You can fill the empty places
> from the "Edit"-menu.
>
> Adding and removing of input- and output-channels is also done from
> the "Edit"-menu.
> Please note that if no jackd is running, JackMix will start but not
> show any controls. You can tell JackMix to create new channels, but
> nothing will happen. Restart JackMix after starting jackd and go on
> with your work.
>
> Changelog
>
> Changes since 0.1:
>
> -Using scons instead of autotools/make.
> -Using qt4 instead of qt3.
> -Dropped the potis borrowed from the kde-project. They where hard to
> port to qt4 and the ones from qjackctl are much nicer and where easier
> to port.
> - The ability to connect faders is dropped. For future releases this
> will be replaced by VCA-groups similar to bigger mixing-consoles.

> [...]
hi, i am really not aware of what i am missing.
i tried now:

nowhiskey at murija2:~/software/nove/j_mix/jackmix-0.2$
QTDIR=/usr/share/qt4 scons configure
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for uic:  uic was found as /usr/share/qt4/bin/uic
Checking for UIC version                       : fine -  Qt User
Interface Compiler version 4.2.1
Checking for moc:  moc was found as /usr/share/qt4/bin/moc
Checking for rcc:  rcc was found as /usr/share/qt4/bin/rcc
Checking for the qt includes             :  ok /usr/share/qt4/include
Checking for jack...(cached) yes
Checking for liblo...(cached) yes
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: Nothing to be done for `configure'.
scons: done building targets.
nowhiskey at murija2:~/software/nove/j_mix/jackmix-0.2$ scons
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for jack...(cached) yes
Checking for liblo...(cached) yes
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
g++ -o jackmix/jackmix jackmix/main.o jackmix/mainwindow.o -Llibgui
-Llibelements -Llibcore -Llibmatrix -Lbackend -L/usr/share/qt4/lib
-ljackmix_mixingmatrix -ljackmix_mixingelements -ljackmix_gui
-ljackmix_backend -lQtCore -lQtGui -lQtXml -lQt3Support
-l-L/usr/local/lib -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l-L/usr/local/lib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [jackmix/jackmix] Error 1

and:

nowhiskey at murija2:~/software/nove/j_mix/jackmix-0.2$
QTDIR=/usr/share/qt4 qtlibs=/usr/lib/qt4 scons configure
[...]

the first command ( the QTDIR-PATH) is copied from /user/.bash_profile,
it works to compile a lot of software.

if you have any suggestion, please respond, cause i would like to try
the jack mix in action!

cheers,
doc