[linux-audio-user] Problem starting bristol with jack

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Feb 10 18:33:27 EST 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Nick Copeland wrote:

> Hi Larry
>
> Have you tried with just the following?
>
> startBristol -jack -b3
>
> It looks like the engine has failed to start due to the midi selection (the
> default midi options are the ALSA seq so I would advise not changing that).

Well I recompiled from the latest sources (version 0.9.6), and I have a
somewhat different problem now:

<snip output>
spawning audio thread
registering jack interface
Rescheduled thread: 95
initialising one arp2600
return - no data in buffer
exit algo: 0, 5dba20, 0
/home/larry/bin/startBristol: line 302:  8511 Segmentation fault
brighton $ * -engine
<snip output>

First, let me say that a complication is
that  my jack headers don't exactly match my libjack version. My libjack
is 0.102 (installed as a debian package), and the headers are 0.101.
Debian/64studio seems to have packages available for libjack 0.102 but
the libjack-devel is only at 0.101. Hence to attempt to get going with
compiling apps, I simply downloaded the 0.101 devel package and unpacked
it. Dangerous, I know, but I'm not sure that this is the cause of my
problem, because I got a warning during compilation that seems odd:

In brightonMixerMemory.c, there is a waring about a cast from pointer to
integer of different size (remember that I'm running 64 bits). Is this a
cause for alarm? Perhaps brighton doesn't work in 64  bits? Or do I need
to look elsewhere?

Regards

Larry