[linux-audio-user] Firewire-Success

Arnold Krille arnold.krille at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 15:20:42 EST 2007

Hi,

2007/2/19, sevol <sevol at hemp.net>:
> Your setup looks nice. My Firepod sits in a 4U 10.5 inch (26.7 cm) deep
> FX/Amp rack, making it a somewhat more compact arrangement. But your
> laptop drawer & the extra space for cables at the back seems pretty
> handy (plus, that extra space perhaps allows for a little more heat
> dissipation, too), so, your setup might be a better choice. Thanks for
> the photos & info.

To be clear: I will use the space behind the devices only to store the
cables that are connected to the devs... I don't even want to imagine
what a totally loose cable with two big XLR-jack will do to the
devices in a rough transport...

And I need the cables in the drawer to shock-protect the laptop :-)

> Unfortunately, I'm a little to dumb to get my Firepod working with
> Linux. I can't put the pieces together. Under Fedora Core 5/PlanetCCRMA
> my Firepod's not even detected. The problem may start earlier in the
> chain. I can't even figure out how to tell if my laptop's firewire
> adapter card is being detected by FC5, except that popping it in or out
> does nothing. It works in WinXP, but that's not what I want to do. I'm
> curious, what distro are you running?

Yeah, I totally ignored that part because it was so easy. My
distribution of choice is gentoo. I activated preemption and use the
realtime-lsm method to get realtime-rights. Otherwise almost all the
apps I use are straight from the (instable) gentoo tree. Only for
freebob I had to create my own ebuild so I can cleanly (un-)install in
the system...

Before I forget: the laptop is a amd64 (running in 64bit ;-) while my
home-pc is an intel P4. Both run equally stable. (ardour crashes after
stopping a recording if I save the session during the pre-roll...)

> I can't even guess what it feels like to have things working correctly.
> Any help would be...well, helpful & much appreciated.

I can understand your situation. I tried to run my firepod on windows
last weekend. What a mess!

Have fun,

Arnold

--