[linux-audio-user] Firewire-Success

sevol sevol at inwa.net
Tue Feb 20 06:57:24 EST 2007

Arnold Krille wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > 2007/2/19, sevol <sevol at hemp.net>:
 >> Your setup looks nice. My Firepod sits in a 4U 10.5 inch (26.7 cm) deep
 >> FX/Amp rack, making it a somewhat more compact arrangement. But your
 >> laptop drawer & the extra space for cables at the back seems pretty
 >> handy (plus, that extra space perhaps allows for a little more heat
 >> dissipation, too), so, your setup might be a better choice. Thanks for
 >> the photos & info.
 >
 > To be clear: I will use the space behind the devices only to store the
 > cables that are connected to the devs... I don't even want to imagine
 > what a totally loose cable with two big XLR-jack will do to the
 > devices in a rough transport...

I agree. I don't think hauling stuff around in the leftover space in the
rack, or shipping it that way, would make any of the gear perform
better. What I mean was...well...I don't know what I was thinking. You
could store an extra hat if it wasn't extravagantly large, or a
toothbrush or some ramen noodles, I don't know :)

 > And I need the cables in the drawer to shock-protect the laptop :-)

Good idea.

 >> Unfortunately, I'm a little to dumb to get my Firepod working with
 >> Linux. I can't put the pieces together. Under Fedora Core 5/PlanetCCRMA
 >> my Firepod's not even detected. The problem may start earlier in the
 >> chain. I can't even figure out how to tell if my laptop's firewire
 >> adapter card is being detected by FC5, except that popping it in or out
 >> does nothing. It works in WinXP, but that's not what I want to do. I'm
 >> curious, what distro are you running?
 >
 > Yeah, I totally ignored that part because it was so easy. My
 > distribution of choice is gentoo. I activated preemption and use the
 > realtime-lsm method to get realtime-rights. Otherwise almost all the
 > apps I use are straight from the (instable) gentoo tree. Only for
 > freebob I had to create my own ebuild so I can cleanly (un-)install in
 > the system...

I might have another look at gentoo. About a year & 1/2 ago I tried
setting up a gentoo system & never got far because gentoo didn't seem to
like my cd-rom drive. It would have a kernel panic attempting to detect
the drive it was already reading from & gave up. I tried a few
suggestions offered on the gentoo IRC channel, but nothing got me beyond
that point in the install. That was on an old system I was only using to
play around with. Trying an install on a more update system might give
better results.

 > Before I forget: the laptop is a amd64 (running in 64bit ;-) while my
 > home-pc is an intel P4. Both run equally stable. (ardour crashes after
 > stopping a recording if I save the session during the pre-roll...)

The laptop I have isn't new. However, I don't consider it completely
obsolete. The processor is a 2.00GHz Intel Pentium M Dothan in a Dell
Precision M60. I'm glad 64bit is working smoothly for you. Somewhere, I
can see it in my future :) BTW, not that I know anything about it, but
are you using the gentoo audio overlay?

 >> I can't even guess what it feels like to have things working correctly.
 >> Any help would be...well, helpful & much appreciated.
 >
 > I can understand your situation. I tried to run my firepod on windows
 > last weekend. What a mess!

Yeah, & as little as I'd like to, if I can't get Linux audio working I
may have to return to windows. It seems that things either fall together
with Linux or they don't, & people are forced to leave.

 > Have fun,
 >
 > Arnold

Thanks