[linux-audio-user] OT: FUD or not? what is your opinion?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Feb 21 19:57:58 EST 2007

Rob wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2007 14:03, Josh Lawrence wrote:
>> And if Gnome died today, wouldn't something
>> come along to take its place (if indeed the need was there)?
>
> I'm not even sure what "dying" means in this case.  Perl is
> basically dead as far as new development goes [...]

redefine death - there's perl code popping up everywhere! aparently you
can formulate QM with it's regexps: http://xkcd.com/c224.html ;-)

Same goes for gnome - ok seriously IMHO they've influenced good Desktop
development and even if the current gnome-desktop-software has several
issues or drops in popularity(?!),.. their spirit will linger longer
than most flashy icons..  - anyway right now I prefer the gnome-terminal
with xfce.

To each his/her own windowmanager - only question we could ask in our
glass house is which Features of a window-manager would improve
linux-audio popularity & usability: Ideas range from session management
and easy window re-arrangement to extending drag-n-drop features or
display-information abstraction: inter-app-exchange methods.. MIDI-WM
:-) - there'll always be different kinds for a window environments, so
the API should rather be at glib (or similar lebvel) rather than
associating linux-audio with some DE or live-distro.

I hope(d) that linux-audio and linux-desktop popularity are quite
uncorrelated. Although an open source software can; an open-source
community does not seem to be able to support [non-caring|paying]+
End-Users in a satisfactory way - "uuh - do I need to type? I just want
to click?" - ok I kid. Who would agree that someone who wants to record
audio should learn how to use a keyboard first? - OTOH it's a feat I
would expect from every audio-engineer, even if only to label analog
cables :-)

Of course everyone is welcome to support Linus's Law, but I rather think
that the average Audio-Software-Desktop-User will not add much to Linux
Audio, apart from the need that it must co-exist with gaming sound libs
on any distro (poor packagers!) - This does not mean one should exclude
those users or applications, on the contrary! - just don't expect them
to be .. greatful(?) or push them. - is it the latter what companies are
trying to do? - YaSTC (yet another side o[fn] the coin) - anyway the
Linuxaudio community is not doing that bad, is it?

anyway as the default VISTA license seems to only allow one DVD drive
per system and with other various DRM hardware cooking up,..
de-evolution leads to revolution! - well scatch that last, enough OT
chat tonight,  -  looking forward to the LAC keynote!

cheers,
robin