[linux-audio-user] OT: FUD or not? what is your opinion?

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Wed Feb 21 20:51:28 EST 2007

On Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 01:57:58AM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 February 2007 14:03, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> >> And if Gnome died today, wouldn't something
> >> come along to take its place (if indeed the need was there)?
> >
> > I'm not even sure what "dying" means in this case.  Perl is
> > basically dead as far as new development goes [...]
>
> redefine death - there's perl code popping up everywhere! aparently you
> can formulate QM with it's regexps: http://xkcd.com/c224.html ;-)
>
> Same goes for gnome - ok seriously IMHO they've influenced good Desktop
> development and even if the current gnome-desktop-software has several
> issues or drops in popularity(?!),.. their spirit will linger longer
> than most flashy icons..  - anyway right now I prefer the gnome-terminal
> with xfce.
>
> To each his/her own windowmanager - only question we could ask in our
> glass house is which Features of a window-manager would improve
> linux-audio popularity & usability: Ideas range from session management
> and easy window re-arrangement to extending drag-n-drop features or
> display-information abstraction: inter-app-exchange methods.. MIDI-WM
> :-) - there'll always be different kinds for a window environments, so
> the API should rather be at glib (or similar lebvel) rather than
> associating linux-audio with some DE or live-distro.
>
> I hope(d) that linux-audio and linux-desktop popularity are quite
> uncorrelated. Although an open source software can; an open-source
> community does not seem to be able to support [non-caring|paying]+
> End-Users in a satisfactory way - "uuh - do I need to type? I just want
> to click?

by end-user, i guess you mean OSuX/XP users who dont want to learn anything and just click an icon? thats the point of Ubuntu, innit?

the rest of us are served well, as we know how to take advantage of the huge and alawys growing body of software, and most importantly how to read manpages and google.

imo the biggest problem affecting linux audio on the desktop is video cards

" - ok I kid. Who would agree that someone who wants to record