[linux-audio-user] OT: Recommendations for Headphones and Mic

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Tue Jan 2 03:37:10 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 19:10 +0000, James Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 10:48:39AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> > James Stone wrote:
> > >I am planning to buy some reasonable headphones and an
> > >entry-level mic for voice recording.. I would be grateul if
> > >anyone here has some recommendations..
> > >

> > what will you use the headphone and mic for? Are they both for singing?
> > For VO work?
>
> Yes.. for singing.

For large-diaphragm condensers, check out the SE Electronics SE2200A,
and the Studio Projects C1 which has a more pronounced top-end.

The SM58 is a dynamic mic, so the frequency response rolls off somewhat
after about 15KHz. On the other hand, it's therefore tough, which is why
it's so popular for live work. Also, it's designed to be used up close,
so it rolls off the bass response to compensate for the proximity
effect.

For headphones. I have a set of AKG K240 which work fine for me.
Although they have a higher impedance than most headphones, so you
really have to crank up the output levels.

bye
John