[linux-audio-user] OT: Recommendations for Headphones and Mic

M P Smoak smoak at mis.net
Tue Jan 2 19:39:33 EST 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 06:34 pm, Brad Fuller wrote:
> > I have plumped for a Samson C03 and a Behringer minimic 800
> > preamp (the tube MP sounded like it was somewhat delicate and
> > fairly unreliable from a breaking down point of view from the
> > reviews I read..).. For headphones I decided to get some
> > Audio-Technica ATHM30.. Sounds like they should be adequate to my
> > requirements..
>
> Great.
> OTOH, obtaining a mixer will give you a bit more functionality when
> you want to add more external sound outputs (like CD player, etc.) to
> your PC. You can get some inexpensive ones that already have mic
> preamps and phantom.

Yep, I strongly agree.  In my always-on practice room there are two
Behringer mixers, mxb1002 and ub802.  Mic preamps, headphone ...
good enough for what our group does.  Also give me a way to easily
input most of my old audio equipment to the soundblaster live.

> > So fingers crossed it will all work..
> >
> > One last thing.. I was puzzling how to connect the mono output
> > from the preamp to the stereo line-in on the sound card. In the
> > end I bought a dual mono 1/4" to stereo 1/8" jack lead. This
> > seems most sensible to me, though I was wondering if a straight
> > stereo-stereo would have worked??
>
> Think of the audio input as 2 channel input, not stereo. Connect line
> out of preamp to one of the channel inputs.

Yep, and adapters are available at Radio Shack and other places for
making stereo concectors into line1 and line2 ....

Someone else said that the mic in on the sblive is useless;  I've used
it for recording telephone calls using an adapter.  Sure isn't hifi but
it does all me to make record of a call rather than take notes while
talking.  Takes me a few minutes to setup, but the calls I record are
scheduled technical client calls that may last an hour or more.  Real
handy for me.

Marv in Lex. KY    Happy New Year