[linux-audio-user] Music: Freewheeling DJ Mix

Johannes Mario Ringheim jri at broadpark.no
Sun Jan 7 19:27:18 EST 2007

Jon H wrote:
> That's technically impressive and it sounds good too!

Thanks!

> Have you shared this with J.P. Mercury yet?

J.P...who?

> I'm also interested in making such music.  What sort of turntable did
> you use for this?  Recommendations?

I use the Technics 1210s, classic DJ turntable. Lots of other models
have come out in the recent years, take a look at turntablelab.com for
example. Haven't really tried any other than the 1210, but I hear that
the Vestax models with straight arms are good. Just don't go for the
cheapest gemini crap.

How many loops did you use in FW at
> any one time and how did you trigger them?

Not too many in this mix, about 3-4 I think. I'm working just now with
having beats playing in Hydrogen, and then live loops and sound effects
on top of that in FW. For the trigger you can use the keyboard, or do as
I did, make a pedal out of an old joystick, solder it to an old mouse,
and use an app called mousemidi to convert the mousesignal to midi-pedal
messages.
Alternatively you could buy a midi-pedal ;)

> Very cool release.  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for dl and commenting.

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org