[linux-audio-user] Outputting same sound source to multiple cards simultaneously

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.edu
Tue Jan 9 08:26:26 EST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:29:51 -0800
"reuben firmin" <reuben.firmin at gmail.com> wrote:

The problem here is that these soundcards are not guaranteed to be
in sync. A slight different in samplerate will cause that on the
long run, one card will need more buffers to play, while the other
is still processing the previous one.

I don't think there is any software that deals with this, though
maybe I am mistaken. (Theoratically, by randomly 'throwing away'
samples once in a while for the 'slower' soundcard, this problem
could be solved)

> Hoping somebody can give me some hints here...
>
> 1) I would like to configure amarok to play output to multiple soundcards
> simultaneously. One soundcard is connected to speakers next to my computer;
> the other is connected to wireless speakers over USB ( i.e. is a usb audio
> device). I can get either/or to work, but haven't figured out how to get
> them both to work simultaneously.
>
> 2) (not so important) I would like to further extend this so that mplayer
> can output to the desktop soundcard at the same time that amarok continues
> to play music to the USB audio device.
>
> Does anybody have advice and/or references to boilerplate config that'll
> accomplish these?
>
> Thanks,
> Reuben
>
> --