[linux-audio-user] This criticism of jackd valid?

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Mon Jan 22 07:06:24 EST 2007

Le Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:15:16 +0100,
Lars Luthman <lars.luthman at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 07:46 -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:
> > As much more of a music maker than a developer, I'm not able to
> > evaluate whether this post from a current thread on Slashdot is a
> > valid criticism of JACK:
> >
> > http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=217898&cid=17700570

Here's what I replied to the guy.  Unfortunately the /. system
seems to have some problem with posting the reply.

> You *can* still get Jack to work perfectly with 2ms
> latency (and hundreds of people do), but only with extreme care
> about what applications you're running and with the use of fast
> top-end audio hardware, no Internet access, and no random
> commands invoked from xterms.

I run a lot of Linux audio apps using a low-cost M-Audio 1010LT
card on a X86_64 AMD X2 machine with 4 GB of RAM.  I run audio
sequences and Ardour recordings while the windowm manager is
Beryl and it shows the water ripples and snow effects on the
screen and there's an active internet connection.  Never heard a
missed note or beat and in fact, I still do not know what xruns
are.

Although 4GB is not that common nowadays, the X86_64 machines, as
well as the dual core CPUs, are becoming cheap.

I think that someone who can fly in a musician from the other
side of the globe shouldn't really be running a cheap setup, be
it Linux or Windows or Mac.

Al