[linux-audio-user] This criticism of jackd valid?

Dmitry Baikov dsbaikov at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 08:53:41 EST 2007

On 1/21/07, Lars Luthman <lars.luthman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 07:46 -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:
> > As much more of a music maker than a developer, I'm not able to evaluate
> > whether this post from a current thread on Slashdot is a valid criticism
> > of JACK:
> >
> > http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=217898&cid=17700570

Looks like a troll.
If he knows a better solution, where is it?

There's no way to have big processing period and low-latency at the same time.
If you are processing your audio in big chunks, then there's just no
sense to use short hw-buffers (if only to stress irq subsystem).

So, this post is BS.

The only thing that may be useful, is to have cients with different
period sizes in the same graph. But it's quite hard to implement,
though possible.

Regards,
Dmitry.