[linux-audio-user] sites at linuxaudio.org

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Sat Jan 27 15:35:34 EST 2007

Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> While I agree that linuxaudio.org sites could benefit from a sidebar or some
> other common tool that binds them more together, I honestly do not see such
> a thing happening until:
>
> 1) community gets more involved, even if that means simple
> feedback/communication on the consortium list (i.e. recently we posted final
> proposed version of the CD cover and got no feedback whatsoever--whether due
> to apathy, disinterest, or something else, I am not sure, needless to
> mention that most of our members do not bother posting their announcements
> on the consortium list).
>
> 2) other sites which are hosted under the linuxaudio.org do not respond as
> if their individuality is being threatened every time there is even the most
> remote allusion to the idea that there should be some kind of
> unifying/cross-linking framework for the sub-sites.
>
> Recently, I spent a couple of days just dealing with porting of mailing
> lists (OSX server, don't get me started...), while helping Thorsten revise
> the CD cover for Vol.1 of Made in Linux Series, now I see that the main
> linuxaudio.org site needs new news posts regarding recent announcements. And
> this is how the story goes, instead of me trying to plan things that will
> have a much greater impact (i.e. fund-raising, incorporation), I am always
> sidetracked with micro-management since everyone in the LA* community thinks
> linuxaudio.org is a great idea but very few want to help out. Even the few
> volunteers we got in the fall, out of the ones who did not fizzle out, we
> are yet to get *a* contribution...

Please don't get me wrong here, I do appreciate the linuxaudio.org
effort, and all the work you (and maybe others) are putting into it.

My emotions indicate that I want to help, but my brain keeps on telling
me that freebob already takes too much time. I guess these sort of
things should be done by LAU's rather than LAD's (not that LAD's aren't
LAU's), but they might be a little to busy making music... something
that I'd like to do a little more.

> All that being said, the consortium is keeping as busy as always and is
> using whatever limited resources it has to the fullest potential. We should
> be announcing our contributions soon. Also FWIW, portal.linuxaudio.org has
> been announced on linuxaudio.org site (see main page), the one site over
> which consortium has direct control.

I suggest a link "Portal" under the "Contact" link at the left of
linuxaudio.org.

Greets

Pieter