[linux-audio-user] Anyone have any opinion on CMS?

oktyabr oktyabr at linux-studio.org
Tue Jan 30 20:27:49 EST 2007

Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone!

I left Jupiter because even though www.opensourcecms.com
<http://www.opensourcecms.com> has it listed as open-source Jupiter
expects you to pay money to remove their copyright and branding from the
bottom of the page.  I'm not sure what license they are actually under
but it is obviously not the right one...  Since most of the information
on my site will be about truly open-source software I'd like to use an
open-source CMS as well.

Geeklog looked like it had potential but it relies on a plugin to handle
forums which in this case means that to change the look-and-feel of the
core elements I must change the look-and-feel of the forum plugin
seperately which in some cases can be a lot of work.  I want a CMS that
will let me (or even on the user side) change the look-and-feel of the
entire site (including the forums!) with a single variable.  So far e107
is the only one that meets all of these requirements although I will
definately take a closer look at Drupal too since it has come so highly
recommended.

Seaside definately looks impressive but I'll have to do some more
research into what I can and cannot do with this webhost before getting
any deeper.  It's basically a shared host server running linux of one
flavor or another.  I have PHP, Apache, mySQL and the other usual
suspects installed and enabled server side by the hosting company.  Not
sure if I'm allowed to install something like smalltalk on the box (I
doubt it but I'll have to look), same with an alternative webserver
(does Seaside run with Apache?)

As to the question of wiki's I am not opposed to them although I've seen
what can happen if they are exposed in a large community and easy to
abuse.  The wiki structure in and of itself is great for information on
specific software applications, etc.  I'm not opposed to one for this
purpose although it looks like there are already some wiki's being done
on the topic and I'd rather not waste time and resources to be overly
redundant.  A quick google shows:

http://lawiki.fugal.net/linuxaudio/show/HomePage
http://linux-sound.sonologic.nl/start
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/LinuxAudio
and even wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_audio_software

Perhaps a link to one, some or all of these projects or perhaps if/when
linux-studio.org gets up and running one of these other projects could
somehow be integrated with it.

As for the use of forums, as I think I expressed in an earlier thread
that touched on this topic, I'm a member of several large forums
including ubuntuforums.  It is simply my belief that while maillists
cannot be discounted as an excellent, low-resource means of
communication within a community that it is not the most fertile ground
for growing a community which is one of the primary goals of the
linux-studio.org project.

I believe that what linux audio needs is a visable community where
people can come and learn and interact together.  I'm not sure if my
attempts with linux-studio.org will show great fruition but that's the
idea anyway.

Thanks!

Jon Hoskins