[LAU] newbie to Linux audio

Russ Button russ at button.com
Wed Jul 18 03:00:39 EDT 2007

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> If you can record 24/96 and 16/44.1 at the same time, obviously
> having some redundant hardware, then I think you'll avoid the
> resampling distortion from the conversion you propose.
>
> What kind of DVD player do you have?  Is it something fancy to play
> 24/96?

It's just a standard Samsung DVD player that supports DVD-audio.   I
wanted a player that supported DVD-audio, SACD and standard CD.  It was
even last year's model, so I got it on a closeout for about $80.

I've not experienced much difference in digital sources.  A CD player is
a CD player is a CD player pretty much.  Yes you can hear differences
between the super-duper whiz-bang gizmo and a Radio Shack battery
powered portable, but it's a lot less than the sales guys would like you
to believe.  The big difference in the quality of audio playback is in
the loudspeakers, their room placement, the sonic qualities of the room,
and to a lesser extent, the driving amplification.

There can be significant differences in phono cartridges, but this forum
is dedicated to digital audio, so that discussion is totally out of scope.

Russ