[LAU] Music made with Linux

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Tue Jul 24 05:53:22 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Jan Depner wrote:
> Here I am, back again.  I've added a song to my site.  It's only missing
> a few things:
>
> a real drummer
> someone who can play bass
> someone who can sing
> an entire band that really knows how to play reggae
>
> You know, just a few things ;-)  This is more a proof of concept than
> anything else.  It's really all about the story (which is on the site).
> For those interested, the implements of destruction are:
>
> Home-made guitar ;-)
> Roland GR-9 guitar synth (organ)
> Mesa Boogie Maverick Dual Rectifier 212
> Digitech RP250
> Blue Ball mic
> ESP 854 bass through an Art Pro Channel
> Alesis SR-16
>

> http://www.thecfband.com/Bio/MyMusic/MyMusic.html
>

> Oh, the name of the song is "Joe Black" (ya gotta read the story to
> understand).

It sounds ok. But one important tip about reggae. The rhythm is mostly a so
called "one drop" which means that the 1 is not emphasized. Instead the
emphasis is on the beats 2 and 4 [or on beat 3 depending on how you count]:

time:   1 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4 . . .

guitar:     |       |       |       |
kick:           |               |

A reggae with emphasis/kick  on 1 simply doesn't sound right :) Or better: A
reggae with emphasis ONLY on 1 doesn't sound right..

Here's an example of a very simple reggae "riddim" just to illustrate the
point:

http://tapas.affenbande.org/one_drop.ogg

Ann to drive the point, here's the master of reggae, Bob:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3VRGANguGQE

[the song starts after 20 seconds or so]

In this song "natural mystic" even the bass doesn't play on the 1 :)

Regards,
Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!