[LAU] Advice on hardwware components

Michael TD Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Mon Jun 4 16:11:45 EDT 2007

Joshua Boyd wrote:
 > The ATI X300 to X850 range are reasonably decent using the open source
 > ATI drivers.  That range of cards is probably the best graphics for a
 > completely open source linux machine.  I would say that they are easily
 > faster than the Intel 965 graphics at this time.  Long term, the Intel
 > graphics may end up being a better choice, but for now I think that the
 > slightly older ATI is best.

Thanks everyone, for all your advice.

I have just bought a Hewlett Packard branded X300 on eBay - I have been
watching all the PCI-E cards for a few days, and that was the first
bargain to turn up (£10.50 Sterling including delivery, if anyone is
interested). It's small and fanless, which suits me.

When it arrives I can test the motherboard, CPU, RAM and power supply!
Next item on the list is bootable media... Probably a pair of mirrored
SATA drives. They'll almost certainly be the most expensive component in
the machine.

Thanks
Michael