[LAU] Re: Re: DAW usability

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 20:24:06 EDT 2007

On 6/17/07, Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 17:45 +0200, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
> > Jan Depner:
> > >    I didn't say never complain.  I said quit whining.  I haven't seen a
> >
> > No, you didn't. (none of your 4 points contained anything about
> > complaining, at least not without whining in another place than
> > this forum, whatever the point of doing that is). But its good to see that
> > you might agree that complaining might be a good thing though...
> >

> > > single post in this thread that had a single constructive piece of
> > > advice on how to correct the perceived problems with Ardour.  It is OK
> > > to tell them you are not satisfied with it but how about asking for
> > > specific fixes to specific problems?
> >
> > No, there have been constructive posts here. Just look at Traverso, which
> > was the start of this discussion. Traverso has many nice ideas. Thats
> > constructive, and Thorsten also seemed to agree that a couple of things in
> > traverso is very nice.
> >
> > The impression I get from your (and some others) posts here though, is
> > that if you say antyhing negative about ardour, someone will
> > answer with large emotional posts how great ardour is. And thats _not_
> > constructive. But I agree, ardour is great, but I also think it could be
> > much better, and I think people should be encouraged to say what they
> > think about it and not be afraid of being flamed for doing so. I have a
> > feeling there might be a little bit of group thinking going on here about
> > ardour, and in case there is, thats _very bad_.
> >

>     Not true!  I only get really pissed off if anyone says anything
> negative about JAMin ;-)  Actually, I like constructive criticism.  My
> problem with this thread is that the subject was never approached with a
> "gee, wouldn't it be nice if Ardour..." attitude.  It was basically
> "Ardour sucks and everything else is much better".  When I see that type
> of criticism my response is usually - either do better or go elsewhere.
> I have a great deal of respect for Paul Davis and the rest of the Ardour
> crew so I don't really appreciate people bad mouthing them or saying
> that their efforts are crap.  If someone wants to make things better
> they need to provide useful input.  If you enjoy receiving garbage like
> most of what has been presented in this thread then more power to you.
> I will continue to be annoyed by ungrateful whiners.

I thought it was more "Wow, it's great that there is something trying
different UI concepts." The JMB concept in traverso is very different
and it's nice to have a DAW with some more experimental features. The
thread did seem to turn into ardour defending and bashing even though
it was totally un-ardour related to start with. I would have liked it
to continue as a more constructive discussion about the how the JMB
concept works for people and if a keyboard only (but x based)
interaction style was possible.

Loki