[LAU] Ardour: fixing errors in a recorded track (was: DAW usability)

Hein Zelle hein at icce.rug.nl
Sun Jun 17 04:33:45 EDT 2007

Julien Claassen wrote:

> I thought the point was clear and now we could head on to acutally BEING
> PRODUCTIVE and REASONABLE! :-)

I'll try and give it a start, with a different topic.  I have some
questions on using ardour, which I've only partially solved after
reading the manual.  I'd like to hear how people tackle this, step by
step, possibly including what to click and how.

Problem 1:  I've just recorded a single track. It's mostly OK, but
there's a piece where I goofed up, or the microphone got touched and
crackled, or something similar.

Solution:  record another (partial) take, and copy a piece of the second
take on top of the first one.  Using crossfades I guess, to hide the
transitions.

Questions:

- should I do this using a new playlist, or should I just record a new
region on top of the old recording?  Or should I use a completely new
track?  (I'm guessing not the last option).

- If I _do_ have the 2 takes in 2 different tracks (both visible below
eachother),  I want to select a region in the second track, and copy it
over the first one, keeping the time position the same.  How do I do
this?  I've read about something like control-click-drag in the manual,
but I can't get it to work.  Copy-paste works, but positions the
selection at the beginning of the other track.

- If I record the second take in a new playlist, how do I proceed to do
this then?

- And how to do it if I forgot to make a new playlist, and just use
punch-in recording to re-record a small section?

Problem 2:

after recording, I want to either play or export my recording.  Ardour
doesn't stop at the end of the recording by itself.  At one point, I
suddenly had an "end" marker where it would stop and return to the
beginning.  How do I get that marker?  How do I remove it again?

Problem 3:

export project to audio file.  Sometimes this gives me an empty audio
file (no signal) of the correct length.  I suspect this has to do with
selecting tracks before exporting, but I would expect "export project"
to not care about that.  Any ideas what I may be doing wrong there?

Problem 4:

coupling ardour and rosegarden together for midi accompaniment.  This
works fine with rosegarden in "slave" mode, I can control
start/stop/record from either program.  However, they don't copy
eachothers settings for beats-per-minute and time signature.  Is it
possible to automatically carry that information over from one program
to the other?

This probably belongs on an ardour mailing list somewhere, if so please
let me know and I'll repost it.  I'm interested in hearing people's
methods to solving such things, though.  Not being an audio-expert I'm
rather baffled by all the features and terminology used in
ardour/rosegarden/muse/etc, it seems like you're expected to already
know what everything means and how it's supposed to be used.

Kind regards and thanks for any input,
	Hein Zelle