[linux-audio-user] Re: composing with trackers

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Mar 6 14:49:00 EST 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 13:39, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 3/4/07, Louis Gorenfeld <louis.gorenfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Chuck,
> >   In a tracker, you don't have to write in 4/4-- you can
> > freely change the lengths of each pattern and even cut
> It's an extra step to not write in 4/4; which is not the case
> sitting at a piano.  That's all I'm saying.

It is the case with pretty much every computerized composition
tool, though, not just trackers.  If you're using your computer
as anything more than a glorified tape deck (which you can get
away with if you don't do a lot of overdubbing, like if you're
in a band that records live or you're just a guy with a piano
and nothing else.... I'm not), the programs you use to manage
the structure of your music are almost invariably going to
assume you're writing in 4/4 by default.

I found it just as easy to transcribe this one thing I did with
shifting meters (7/8, 6/8, 7/8, 6/8, 7/8, 9/8, repeat) in a
tracker as I did in DOP, which was my Windows sequencer of
choice at the time.  In fact, I've used traditional sequencers
that won't take a meter with a "numerator" greater than 6, which
was always a real bummer.

Rob