[linux-audio-user] intel core 2 duo and amd turion 64x2

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 10 23:31:37 EST 2007

carmen wrote:
> On Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 07:43:00PM -1000, david wrote:
>> ljc at internet.com.uy wrote:
>>> hello list, i intend to buy a new laptop, and i'm undecided
>>> between two models of hp: dv6255us and dv6275us. both are very
>>> similar, but the 6275 has two pros: bigger L2 cache and 128Mb of
>>> dedicated video ram. but it has a intel core 2 duo, and my
>>> initial intention was buying an amd turion 64x2. any ideas how
>>> the core 2 duo compares to the turion 64x2? any experiences using
>>> these laptops with linux? the 6275 seems to be a bit better, but
>>> as i said, i was intending to go for the amd. should i go back to
>>> intel after all these years?
>> Don't know about that, but do know that HP/Compaq are pretty much
>> at the bottom of the heap when it comes to product quality and
>> service/support. I'd go with Toshiba or a Thinkpad, or a Mac
>> laptop,
>
> everything is made by Compal, Quanta, and ASUS. can you really
> discriminate by western "brand" ?

Yes, because the quality and service surveys ask by western "brand", and
HP/Compaq always lands at the bottom of the heap. Doesn't matter who
actually made it, because the company putting its name on the unit is
the one who decides what quality of components and construction is
acceptable to them. HP/Compaq seem to consider anything acceptable,
while Toshiba, Apple, and Lenovo in its Thinkpad line seemingly don't.

I don't trust laptops where you can press a key in the middle of the
keyboard and see the middle of the keyboard push down into the unit. Or
flex the laptop itself by twisting opposite sides. I've done that with
HP/Compaq units.

Bought in 2004, my Toshiba laptop traveled all over Europe, then
traveled back and forth to work on the bus (getting used on the bus and
used while working to play music), on family vacations and to church,
and gets used the rest of the time at home. It has held up very, very well.

My wife's Toshiba laptop, bought in 2003, is working just fine. It tends
to sit around, but gets taken along on family vacations, too.

The most durable laptops we've personally owned were Sony - the Sony
SuperSlimPro (my wife's first laptop) lasted five years. A friend of
ours who had an earlier model of the SSP basically used it everywhere -
just close up the laptop and carry it out under his arm like a book,
stick it in the trunk of his car, and go. WITHOUT USING ANY CASE. It
lasted five years, too. My daughter's first laptop was also a Sony - it
lasted five years, too.

Considering that the average service life of laptop was 18 months
(according to some survey I read ages ago), I think that's pretty good.

> if Apple is selling a notebook for $1099 and HP is selling the same
> thing for $599, i'd get the HP - call me crazy

HP is NOT selling the same quality as Apple. You get what you pay for.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community