[linux-audio-user] To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sat Mar 17 07:15:30 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 00:31 +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm considering to buy a new laptop, and a message some time ago on
> > the list regarding a comparison between Dell and MacBook made me
> > reconsider my stance towards MacBook.
>
> while the troubels with the early MacBook Pro are well known, I'd like
> to add the following:
>
> * Dell offers various services, and the Dell on-site service usually
> works very well. No comparison to Apple where your machine will be on
> tour for an unpredictable amount time

Yeah, Dell on-site service is awesome. I've had some pointer stick
trouble with my D820 and the service has been beyond my expectations.
For Dell (at least in Finland), next business day means it's fixed on
the next business day - not when they would take it in for repairs. This
is the basic support package included with the laptop.

Even with the (repeated) issues with the pointer device, I am very happy
with this laptop.

Sure it would've been cheaper without the service plan (hence much lower
prices from other vendors not providing the service), but as this is my
main box I can't afford to have it sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting
to be repaired.

Mind you, this is a Latitude, not an Inspiron which seems to have a bad
reputation.

> * MBP looks far superior compared to the Dell "designer" machines. If
> you don't care about it, well, but my eyes care :)

MBP does not have a PCMCIA slot. I use a multiface. I would've gladly
bought a macbook, but it simply wouldn't have worked for me.

> * What really is ridiculous on the MBPs is the missing right mouse
> button, and the Dell machines offer superior display resolutions.
> People always mention RAM, but IMHO the screen resolution is as
> important as the RAM

True, this 1920x1200 screen is quite nice. Although it could be a bit
brighter.

   Sampo