[linux-audio-user] (OT) Affordable Networked Attached Storage?

Michael TD Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Fri Mar 23 14:33:39 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have an idea in mind for a product which I'd like to own. Basically,
I'd like to be able to buy an enclosure that takes two off-the-shelf
hard discs (IDE, SCSI, SATA, SAS, whatever...) and connects to my LAN
with an ethernet cable (gigabit preferred, but 10/100 is acceptable).

It should have an onboard RAID (absolutely essential) and provide SMB
and NFS shares to the network (maybe also ftp), probably with an Apache
server to supply a management GUI.

I know that I can build something like this, but I would like to buy one
- I have found products by Buffalo and Icy Box which come close, but I
haven't found one for (what I consider to be) a reasonable price that
does exactlt what I'd like.

I'd like it to have an ethernet connection so I can have a box like this
sitting alongside the wireless router in my house,. I could then avoid
having any desktop or laptop switched on permanently - and still have
24hr wireless access point, DHCP server, print servers, firewall, AND
file storage supplied to anyone (permitted) who chooses to connect.

I would still use my internal discs for recording/playing audio, but a
networked attached box would be very useful for running backups, and
archiving data centrally.

Does anyone know of any products, or manufacturers who make such an item?

Thanks
Michael Nelson