[linux-audio-user] (OT) Affordable Networked Attached Storage?

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Fri Mar 23 14:49:48 EDT 2007

On Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 06:33:39PM +0000, Michael TD Nelson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an idea in mind for a product which I'd like to own. Basically, I'd like to be able to buy an enclosure that takes two off-the-shelf hard discs (IDE, SCSI, SATA, SAS, whatever...) and connects
> to my LAN with an ethernet cable (gigabit preferred, but 10/100 is acceptable).

the most popular route seems to be a network attached linux device like NSLU2 http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

afaik it doesnt have internal storage of your own, and youre expected to plug in firewire devices, each with their own enclosure. but its chaep, and runs linux fast enough to handle rtorrent, NFS, smb, daapd and the like

theres similar devicse from netgear/belkin/etc. most can be made to run linux