[linux-audio-user] ¿La revolución informática realmente revolucionará la música? Linux Audio Conference 2007

Thu Mar 29 17:26:40 EDT 2007

[notes from the translator - Fernando Lopez-Lezcano: there are a few
words missing in the translation and I apologize for typos, also, this
article is a comment on another article written by someone actually
present at the conference, I think, the original url is at the bottom of
this commentary]

Translation follows (accuracy _not_ guaranteed :-)

Let the fun begin :-)

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 00:48 -0300, Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:
> En este artículo presento una _crítica_ a las exageradas esperanzas puestas en
> la informática relacionada con el futuro de la música en cuanto a su poder
> revolucionario.

This article is a _critic_ to the exagerated hope of the revolutionary
power of informatics related to the future of music.

> (http://www.mastermagazine.info/articulo/11483.php)
>
> GNU/Linux Audio Conference en Berlín
> 28/03/2007
> Autor: (marcos) Marcos Guglielmetti
>
> Los músicos aparentemente están revolucionando la música electrónica con
> programas y con instrumentos realizados por ellos mismos.

Musicians are apparently revolutionazing electronic music with programs
and instruments they build themselves.

> La conferencia se realizó en la Universidad Técnica de Berlín y convocó a
> gente de todo el mundo vinculada con el Software Libre y la música... según
> quienes cuentan la historia, "muchachos de todas partes del mundo discutiendo
> horas frente a computadoras personales, con sus audífonos puestos, hablando
> en una jerga inextricable"... apuesto a que fue realmente así, basta con
> seguir las charlas en la lista de correo de
> linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu para darse cuenta de que se trata de un
> grupo ciertamente muy "geek" (fanático de la tecnología) y elitista, gente
> que quizá sepa mucho de programación y de música, pero a la que -en general-
> le cuesta llegar con palabras corrientes al resto de los usuarios de sistemas
> privativos, con el fin de que cambien al Software Libre.

The conference took part in the Technical University of Berlin and
gathered people from all the world related to Free Software and music,
according to those who tell the tale "guys from all over the world
arguing for hours in front of their personal computers with their
headphones on and speaking incomprehensible jargon.", I bet it was like
this, it is enough to follow the threads in the
linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu email list to realize that it is a
very elitist and "geek" group (technology fans), guys that maybe know a
lot about programming and music, but that - in general - hardly
communicate using normal words to the rest of the users of closed
systems so that they could change over to Free Software

> Hablo con conocimiento de causa, dado que hace 2 años o más que estoy
> subscripto a la lista linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu, en donde
> prácticamente todos los que estuvieron en LAC 2007 (Linux Audio Conference
> 2007) escriben a diario, discuten, se ayudan... el espíritu de la lista de
> correo es muy bueno y colaborativo, aunque realmente elitista.

I know what I'm talking about because for more than 2 years I have been
subscribed to the list, where most of the LAC 2007 (Linux Audio
Conference 2007) atendees write daily, argue, help each other... the
spirit of the list is very colleborative and good, even though it is
really elitist.

> Pero no sólo de software trata el evento: los geeks reunidos allí suelen
> fabricar sus propios elementos de hardware para controlar programas
> musicales, suelen utilizar complejos softwares como Puredata o Csound, los
> cuales espantarían a la mayoría de los músicos que recién se acercan a una
> computadora.

But the event is not only about software: the geeks there also sometimes
build their own hardware devices to control musical programs and usually
use complex software packages such as Puredata or Csound, which would
frighten most musicians that are just starting to get close to
computers.

> Miguel Álvarez Fernández, uno de los curadores de LAC 2007, explica por qué
> este ambiente es revolucionario: "Acá se están buscando novedades, podríamos
> decir revolucionarias, en el ámbito tecnológico. La plataforma Linux, y en
> general las plataformas llamadas de código abierto, permiten una nueva
> relación con la tecnología. Aquí todos colaboran con todos, es una comunidad.
> Vamos indagando posibilidades y redefiniendo el concepto de música"... aunque
> ¿no suena demasiado pretencioso redefinir el concepto de música?

Miguel Alvarez Fernandez, one of the LAC 2007 curators, explains why
this environment is revolutionary: "We are searching for new things, we
might say revolutionary things in the technological environment. The
Linux platform, and in general the so called open source platforms,
allow for a new relationship with technology. Everyone collaborates with
everyone else, it is a community. We are looking for new posibilities
and redefining the concept of music"... although doesn't it sound
pretentious to redefine the concept of music?

> La gente puede redefinir todos los conceptos que quiera, sinceramente, pero un
> problema al respecto será: ¿habrá oyentes para esa nueva música que tiene
> como base conceptos redefinidos de un modo radical? El tiempo lo dirá.

People can redefine all the concepts they want, really, but a problem
is: will there be listeners for this new music that has its basis in
radically redefined conects? Time will tell.

> Para otros asistentes, el asunto no es tan innovador como lo pinta Miguel...
> Edgar Barroso piensa: "Sigue siendo lo mismo que la composición musical.
> Utilizo técnicas del barroco, de la música medieval; creo que sigue siendo lo
> mismo. Lo único que cambia son los medios".

For other atendees things are not as innovative as Miguel says... Edgar
Barroso thinks: "It is the same as musical composition. I use barroque
techniques, of medieval music; I think things are the same. The only
change is the media."

> Por otro lado, definitivamente esta frase habla de un optimismo exagerado en
> cuanto a las esperanzas puestas en la tecnología:"La música del futuro, de
> melodías inexplicables, se genera con medios electrónicos." Eso último suena
> a lo que en la década de 1950 se promocionaba como las casas del futuro, con
> extraños aparatos que te untaban la manteca en la tostada mediante una mano
> robótica o cosas de similar nivel de disparate: al final seguimos untando la
> tostada con nuestras propias manos... porque es lo más lindo, lo más
> agradable, lo más bello.

On the other hand, this phrase definitely speaks of an exagerated
optimism in relation to hope based on technology: "Music of the future,
of inexplicable melodies, is generated by electronic means." This last
phrase sounds similar to what in the 50's was promoted as the house of
the future, with strange machines that would spread butter on your toast
with a robotic hand or things in the same weird category; in the end we
keep doing it by hand... because it is the most nice, the most pleasing,
the most beautiful.

> Por el contrario, suena mucho más realista hablar de este tipo de cosas: "A un
> costado está otro mexicano, Sergio Luque. Acaba de estrenar su obra "De la
> Incertidumbre" en la sala del Instituto Cervantes. Luque trabaja con un
> generador aleatorio de sonido, lo que le permite literalmente encontrar
> sonidos nunca antes escuchados por el oído humano." Programas como Alsa
> Modular Synth también permiten hacer este tipo de cosas.

On the contrary it sounds more realistic to talk about this type of
things: "Here's another mexican, Sergio Luque. He just premiered his
piece "De la Incertidumbre" en the Instituto Cervantes concert hall.
Luque works with aleatoric sound generation, which allows him to
literally find sounds never heard by the human ears." Programs like Alsa
Modular Synth also allow you to do these kinds of things.

> La nota original (citada abajo), continúa y no tiene desperdicio, habla de que
> es imposible encontrar melodías en este nuevo mundo: "Es cierto, esta música
> está concentrada en timbres complejos, que para la mayoría de la gente sería
> ruido, pero que a mí me rompería el corazón si dijeran que es tal, aunque ya
> me lo han roto un par de veces; creo que es cuestión de acostumbrarse".

The original article (cited below) goes on and has nothing that could go
to waste, it says that it is impossible to find melodies in this new
world: "It is true, this music is concentrated in complex timbres, that
for most people would be noise, but it would break my heart if they
would say that, even though they have already broken it a couple of
times; I think it just takes time to get used to it".

> Los dejo con los dos últimos párrafos y luego vuelvo:"Luego de un par de horas
> de concentración en esta música y luchando contra las costumbres
> tradicionales del oído propio, las emociones comienzan a surgir: es un mundo
> algo inhóspito, donde la guía de la melodía falta, pero donde comienzan a
> surgir emociones del todo comparables con la música tradicional."

I leave you with the last two paragraphs, and return with: "After a
couple of hours concentrating in this new music and fighting with the
traditional uses of our own ears, emotions start to surge: it is a
somewhat inhospitable world, where the guiding melody is lacking, but
where emotions completely similar to those evoqued by traditional music
start to appear."

> "Lo que en un principio era puro desconcierto se va haciendo más cercano y ya
> se puede comenzar a creer que este extraño mundo musical se transforme alguna
> vez en la música usual que, quién sabe, quizá la próxima generación ya
> deposite, expectante y nerviosa, en su aparato de reproducción de CD's."

"What is first completely disconcerting start becoming closer and it is
now possible to begin to believe that this strange musical world is
going to be transformed sometime in the everyday music, that perhaps the
next generation will store, nervous and expectant, in a cd player."

> Nuevamente la -a mí parecer- exagerada esperanza en el ruido, el optimismo un
> tanto ridículo por la creatividad que tienen las máquinas, lo cual esconde,
> creo yo, una bancarrota estético-compositiva en ciertos grupos, en ciertas
> escuelas, en ciertas academias, en ciertas ideologías que pretenden que lo
> único importante en materia artística es innovar, cuando quizá lo
> verdaderamente importante sea 1º expresar lo que uno desea, 2º pasar un buen
> momento.

Again - to me - the exagerated hope in the noise, the somewhat
ridiculous optimism in the creativity of machines, who hides, I think, a
stetical and compositive bankrupcy in certain schools, certain
academies, certain ideologies that pretend that the only thing important
in artistic matters is to innovate, when perhaps the really important
stuff would be 1st express what one wants to say, 2nd have a good time.

> Nótese que el cronista habla de "es un mundo algo inhóspito", sin melodías, ni
> más ni menos que el microcentro de Buenos Aires, por ejemplo. ¿Por qué
> duplicar ese ruido?

Note that the guy who writes talks about a "a somewhat inhospitable
world", without melodies, no more or less than the downtown area in
Buenos Aires, for example. Why duplicate that noise?

> Personalmente pienso que la música llamada "contemporánea", y en particular
> esa que se basa en llamar música al ruido, no hace más que trasladar el ruido
> de las ciudades (autos, motos, aviones, etc.) a los instrumentos y
> presentarlo si fuera música... sin ir más lejos, una caminata por el centro
> de mi ciudad sería un gran concierto para toda esta generación de músicos
> revolucionarios... y todo esto lo dice alguien que hace música con
> computadoras desde el año 1993, además del hecho de que desarrollo un sistema
> operativo para músicos y artistas en general llamado Musix GNU+Linux. En todo
> caso, queda abierta la polémica, yo no pretendo dar recetas, pero me encargué
> de comprar una guitarra acústica, una batería acústica, un bajo eléctrico, y
> si la computadora no enciende, puedo hacer música con estos
> instrumentos "contrarrevolucionarios"... es más, últimamente es normal que
> opte por apagar la computadora y escuchar en serenidad el sonido limpio de mi
> guitarra acústica... y como mucho, el cantar de algún ave en el patio...

I personally think that the so called "contemporary" music, and
particularly that which is based in calling noise music, does not do
more than move the noise of cities (cars, motorcycles, planes, etc.) to
instruments and present them as music... a walk through my city's
downtown would be a great concert to this generation of revolutionary
musicians... and I'm saying this as someone making music with computers
since 1993, and developing an operating system for musicians and artist
known as Musix GNU+Linux. The discussion is open, I don't try to supply
recipes, but I bought an acoustic guitar, an acoustic drum kit, an
electric bass, so that if the computer does not turn on I can make music
with these counter-revolutionary instruments... and what is more, lately
it is becoming more and more normal to turn off the computer and listen
with serenity the clean sound of my acoustic guitar... and at most the
songs of a bird outside...

> En una sociedad industrializada en la que la creatividad fue pasando desde los
> hombres y mujeres hacia las máquinas, no está nada mal tener un control
> potencialmente total sobre las mismas utilizando Software Libre, pero de
> algún modo es un poco hacerle el juego al sistema de producción industrial
> alienante dejar en manos de las máquinas casi toda la creatividad artística.

In an industrialized society in which creativity has been transfering
from men and women to machines, it is not a bad idea to have potentially
complete control over them using Free Software, but it is in some way
also to play the game of the alienating industrial production system
that leaves in the hands of machines most of the artistic creativity.